Effective date: 2 July 2018
What information we are collecting
When you visit the Platforms, MarAlliance and its service providers may collect personal information that you provide, such as your name, address, email address, or payment information in case you make a donation. “Personal Information” is information that identifies you as an individual or relates to an identifiable person. We may also retain any messages you send. We may use this information to correspond with you, and to address any issues you raise about our work.
In addition, MarAlliance and its service providers use a variety of techniques to gather other information about your use of the Platforms, including, among other things, your IP address, browser type, mobile device type, content visited while on the Platforms, and the duration of your visit to the Platforms. “Other Information” is any information that does not reveal your specific identity or does not directly relate to an individual.
How we collect information
MarAlliance and its service providers collect Personal Information that you provide while using the Platforms. For instance, MarAlliance gathers information when you fill out forms on the Platforms, including, for example, e-newsletter sign-up forms, donation forms or surveys. We may supplement the information we collect from you with information we collect from and about you from other online and offline sources, such as public databases or social media platforms.
We and our service providers may collect Other Information in a variety of ways, including:
- We use “cookies” to help us monitor traffic and collect information about use of the Platforms. Cookies are pieces of data placed on your device when you visit the Platforms that help us recognize you when you come back to the Platforms, allowing us, for instance, to remember the email address and password you use when you log in on a specific computer. MarAlliance uses the aggregated information collected from cookies to measure the number of visits to the Platforms, the average time spent on the Platforms, the identity and number of pages viewed, and to gather other traffic data and information that allows us to improve the Platforms. We also use the information to facilitate navigation, improve our content and to display information more effectively while using the Platforms.
- Certain information is collected by most browsers or automatically through your device, such as your Media Access Control (MAC) address, computer type (Windows or Macintosh), screen resolution, operating system name and version, device manufacturer and model, language, and Internet browser type and version.
- We may collect your IP address, which is a number that is automatically assigned to the computer that you are using by your Internet Service Provider. An IP address may be identified and logged automatically in our server log files whenever a user accesses the Platforms, along with the time of the visit and the page(s) that were visited. Collecting IP addresses is a common practice and is done automatically by many websites, applications and other services.
- Information that you provide, such as your preferred means of communication, does not personally identify you unless it is combined with your Personal Information.
How we use the collected information
- To send you information about MarAlliance, our work, or MarAlliance partners.
- To personalize your interactions with MarAlliance, such as to customize your web and email content based on your interests, send you requests to participate events in your area and otherwise target content and communications to you.
- To respond to inquiries and fulfill your requests, such as to process donations, or send you information about a project.
- To send administrative information to you, such as information regarding the Platforms and changes to tour terms, conditions, and policies.
- To allow you to participate in contests, and similar promotions and to administer these activities. Some of these activities have additional rules, which could contain additional information about how we use and disclose your Personal Information.
- For our internal purposes, such as data analysis, audits, developing new content, enhancing, improving or modifying the Platforms, identifying usage trends, demographic patterns, determining the effectiveness of our campaigns, and operating and expanding our activities.
Your Personal Information may be disclosed:
- To our third party service providers who provide services such as website hosting, data analysis, payment processing, information technology and related infrastructure provision, email delivery, delivery of physical products, auditing, and other similar services.
- By you, on message boards, chat, profile pages, blogs, and other services to which you are able to post information and materials. Please note that any information you post or disclose through these services will become public and may be available to users of the Platforms and to the general public. We urge you to be very careful when deciding to disclose your Personal Information, or any other information, on the Platforms.
- To a third party in the event of any reorganization, merger, sale, joint venture, assignment, transfer, or other disposition of all or any portion of our operations or assets (including in connection with any bankruptcy or similar proceedings).
- We may also use and disclose your Personal Information as we believe to be necessary or appropriate: (a) under applicable law, including laws outside your country of residence; (b) to comply with legal process; (c) to respond to requests from public and government authorities, including public and government authorities outside your country of residence; (d) to enforce our terms and conditions; (e) to protect our operations or those of any of our affiliates; (f) to protect our rights, privacy, safety or property, and/or that of our affiliates, you, or others; and (g) to allow us to pursue available remedies or limit the damages that we may sustain.
- We may use and disclose Other Information for any purpose, except where we are required to do otherwise under applicable law. If we are required to treat Other Information as Personal Information under applicable law, then we may use it for all the purposes for which we use and disclose Personal Information. In some instances, we may combine Other Information with Personal Information. If we do, we will treat the combined information as Personal Information as long as it is combined.
How Can You Control Collection of Your Information?
If you would like to control how we manage your Other Information:
- Set your web browser to inform you of when cookies are being set before a cookie is stored and refuse any request to set cookies, and do not accept cookies from MarAlliance. Erase all MarAlliance cookies from your hard drive. Please note, however, that if you choose to reject or erase cookies, your ability to navigate the Platforms may be limited.
- You can learn about Google Analytics’ practices by going to https://www.google.com/policies/privacy/partners/, and opt out of them by downloading the Google Analytics opt-out browser add-on, available at https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout
- Do not provide your information when prompted by the Platforms.
If you would like to modify Personal Information you have previously provided us, please notify us by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
If you would like to opt out of receiving content from MarAlliance, you can take the opportunity to opt out in links on the bottom of emails MarAlliance sends to you.
Does MarAlliance Collect Information from Children?
MarAlliance does not knowingly collect personal information from anyone under the age of 13 without explicit consent of a parent or guardian. The Platforms are not directed at children under the age of 13. In the event that MarAlliance learns that it has collected personal information from a child under age 13 without parental consent, we will delete that information as quickly as possible. If you believe that we might have collected any personal information from a child under 13, please contact us via email@example.com.
We seek to use reasonable organizational, technical, and administrative measures to protect Personal Information within our organization. Unfortunately, no data transmission or storage system can be guaranteed to be 100 percent secure. If you have reason to believe that your interaction with us is no longer secure, please immediately notify us via firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Platforms are controlled and operated by us from the United States and are not intended to subject us to the laws or jurisdiction of any state, country, or territory other than that of the United States. Your Personal Information may be stored and processed in any country where we have facilities or in which we engage service providers, and, by using the Platforms, you consent to the transfer of information to countries outside of your country of residence, including the United States, which may have different data protection rules than those of your country.
You can also send a letter to: 32 Coconut Drive – PO Box 283, San Pedro, Ambergris Caye, Belize